Friday, March 8, 2013

Yoga Q&A 101

Long overdue post about me going to yoga teacher training and my yoga love......

A little background, about two years ago I bought a groupon with a friend for a hot yoga studio in Denver that gave me 30 days unlimited at the studio for $45.00. If you take hot yoga regularly you know it is expensive so this was a steal. I had taken regular yoga classes at the 24 hr gym in Denver but never tried hot.

Welp long story short, I went to a class and then went the next day and then the next day and the next..... I was hooked. So I signed up for the full price and continued it until I moved to Hondy. I love the benefits of yoga, using my body as a weight, constantly being challenged, the relaxation, and a good sweat session (sorry tmi). So this now lead me to spread my yogi love to my roommates here, my family and friends. My mom and I took a class over Christmas in Louisville at Betsys Hot Yoga and took a class in Cabo on the beach..... I take full advantage anywhere I go with a chance to do yoga and look forward to teaching soon.

Some of you may have some questions so I thought I would answer them this way about Costa Rica....

  • When is it?
    • Starts June 15, 2013 ends on July 11, 2013
  • Where is it?
    • It is held at the Pura Vida Spa. This is a eight acre mountainside estate in the Alajuela province of Costa Rica. It is about 45 minutes from San Jose.
  • Where do you sleep?
    • I will share a bungalow/ tent room with another person who is as well in the training. They have two queen size beds, they are luxury sort of looking huts.... Shall see when I get there.
  • Do you know anyone?
    • Nope :) And that is ok. Excited to meet others from all over the world participating.
  • What do you learn?
    • Ashtanga Vinyasa method. A series of  70+ asana (poses). I will learn all the names,  opening/closing chants, principles of synchronization of breath corresponding to each posture. This type of practice is about the flow of the movements and can often be thought as more high intense than meditative. Although I believe yoga has incredible benefits for meditation. Hot Yoga will be taught s well as  Vinyasa Flow, Yin, Gentle and Restorative Yoga will be learned, and some prenatal yoga as well.
  • What will you be able to do after you are complete?
    • I will be 200 HR Yoga Alliance certified. My hope is to get connected in a studio to start teaching Vinyasa Flow classes and or Hot yoga classes. I am open to a lot of things, would love to teach kids, maybe at schools, and or in the corporate world in workshops. Who knows? One on one personal classes, options are endless, but really just start teaching.
  • What does you training include?
    • All classes, lodging and a three meal a day vegetarian diet. This is set up as well to be a retreat/ detox for the time I am there. (So excited for this part!)
  • How many people are there?
    • Not sure, in the past they have had around 16 people or so and then two teachers. SO it is very small and intimate to learn a whole bunch.
  • How long is it?
    • 28 days....6 days practice and training, 1 day rest. 
  • How will you get there?
    • I am going to take a bus from San Pedro Sula, Honduras to Managua, Nicaragua. I will stay overnight or maybe a few days in Nicaragua to then catch another bus to San Jose, Costa Rica. 
  • When are you flying back to the States?
    • The mystery question. At this time I do not have a flight booked. Scary? :) I don't think so. I looked at flights and lucky for me it is much much much cheaper to fly from San Jose, Costa Rica to Denver than from San Pedro Sula, Honduras to Denver. It is not that surprising seeing that so many people are going to Costa Rica and nobody seems all that enthused with Honduras. (disclaimer Costa Ricas economic stability and tourism boom is to blame, Honduras just has lots of work to do). 

All of this to say. I am beyond excited and nervous. I have no idea what to expect, and I already made a joke to my roommates who goes to yoga teacher training without being able to master a Pincha Mayurasana????  Welp that would be me.

I am a bit intimidated by other yogis who seem to be able to do all sorts of inversions and things that I cannot.  I am working on it, still practicing a bunch but it is certainly a work in progress. As well if you have ever taken a class  you know that a lot of poses have complicated names too...... yikes! Cheers to trying to pronounce them all.

Here is a Pincha Mayurasana in case you were wondering :


So to all of you who have never done yoga, think its weird, hard and or are indifferent. I can assure you will not be disappointed if you give it a try.

You may have noticed as well that I am flying to Denver.... That is because my things are locked up in a storage box and my car in a house in the mountains... Remember me unhooking my battery before I left here. I am going to hang out with friends, visit my very favorite places, hopefully play in the mountains and then get my things together to move.......... (yikes)

Alright cheers to friday yall. Enjoy your weekend. I have lots of posting. I have not forgotten to post about my kiddos either. Just waiting to organize the pictures of them :)

Warmest
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment