Saturday, November 3, 2012

When I Grow Up I Want to Be a Mountain Climber.

When I grow up I want to be a mountain climber.

Atleast this is what I told my kids today. Immediately one of the girls said "Oh me too! Me too!" A few in my class seemed a bit confused, not understanding what "mountain climber" meant. Then one of the students translated into spanish..... All I heard from the translation was "Exploradora".

Its true. Well it sounds cool. To be an explorer.

But in my heart I know that it is more true than ever. To be constantly seeking, striving, pushing myself for more, challenging myself to more. Finding people who will encourage me to be more me. To be fully alive in who I know I am. To be the me that is the best part. That is all I want. Thats all I seek.

Today my kids had to decide, "Who do you want to be when you grow up?"

I have answered this a million times, a million different ways. But like my dad and some of his friends said, "We are still trying to figure out what we want to be when I grow up."

So instead of setting my eyes on one thing, or one title, I am going to run after where my heart beats. Where it is most alive. I will not be ashamed of it, but rather try and live a life passionately pursuing what I love. The me that is the best me is the me that is doing that.

“Whatever happens to you belongs to you. Make it yours. Feed it to yourself even if it feels impossible to swallow. Let it nurture you, because it will.” 
― Cheryl StrayedTiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar




No comments:

Post a Comment